What Does Vegan Mean?
The term vegan means that the product you are using does not in any way exploit or use animals. This means that the product is completely free of all animal ingredients and is organic and natural. A vegan shampoo is one that has not been tested on any animal and contains no derivatives from animals. It should be free of all chemicals as well as any additives that are man-made.
These shampoos do not skimp on quality and will still contain ingredients that will clean the hair and rid it of dirt and oil that has built up. You should always check to ensure that your shampoo has been certified as completely free of any animal ingredients or derivatives by an independent body before purchasing. Vegan shampoos are also referred to as cruelty-free shampoos. Here are seven great facts about cruelty-free shampoos:
- They contain fewer ingredients than commercial shampoos and the ingredients they do contain are completely organic. This means that they are good for your hair health, as well as your overall health.
- These shampoos are environmentally friendly and tend to be packaged in material that has been recycled, so you not only get a healthy product but you aid in saving the environment when you buy your shampoo.
- They are completely free of harmful chemical ingredients such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is the culprit behind the hair loss experienced by many. Studies have also shown that this chemical has the potential to cause eye damage or blindness in young children. When you use a cruelty-free shampoo there is no need to worry about this harmful ingredient as it will not be included.
- These shampoos promote and stimulate the hair follicles, making it easier for you to experience new growth.
- Shampoos that are vegan, add minerals and natural oils to the hair and scalp, this helps hair to maintain moisture and stay healthy.
- They are fortified with essential oils, such as tea tree and jojoba which are plant based. Essential oils add vitamins and minerals to the scalp to stimulate growth.
- They do not contain any parabens. Parabens are preservatives used in commercial shampoos that damage the hair follicles.
Commercial Shampoos use ingredients from animal hooves, placenta and even steroids that have been made from animal glands. These can produce allergic reactions in some individuals, leading to hair loss and inflammation in the hair follicles.
Where Can You Find Vegan Shampoos?
They can be found across the web or on websites known as vegan, cruelty- free or organic. This means you can order your shampoo online. Even if the website you find does not directly sell these products, they will usually have a section on their website that will lead you to other sites that sell these shampoos. You can find these shampoos offline as well, in stores that sell organic and natural products. Remember to check the labels carefully to make sure that the product is certified, has plant based ingredients and contains essential oils. You should also keep any eye out for one of the following logos on the vegan products you purchase:
Vegan and Cruelty-Free Shampoos You Should Try
This Morrocco Method Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo is filled with nothing but Vegan and Raw goodness. The ingredients consists of a combination of Apple Cider Vinegar, almond and ginger essential oils to name a few. It cleanses, clarifies, increases blood flow to the scalp to remove debris, oil build-up and unhealthy bacteria.
Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo & Conditioner is a Cruelty-Free (Never tested on animals) Vegan Shampoo with a host of organic and botanical ingredients including tea tree, peppermint. It contains no laurel/laureth sulfates and is great for all hair types. The combination of both shampoo and conditioner works well together to give your hair and scalp a healthy treatment.
Avalon Organics – Carries a line of cruelty free shampoos, their shampoos are completely organic and infused with natural ingredients. This line is a favorite of many who use vegan products. You can find their products online.
Urtrekam – These products are made in Denmark and are made from plants, they have been certified as organic and cruelty free, so you can rest assured that when you buy a shampoo you are getting a great natural product that will not strip or damage your hair in an attempt to get rid of oil and dirt. Instead you will receive a gentle natural clean that will leave your hair revived.
As you can see obtaining a vegan shampoo is not all that difficult. It is well worth the switch from commercial shampoos that not only damage the hair and potentially your health but also exploits animals as well.