With consumers becoming more aware of the damage inflicted by artificial chemicals on the environment and also the potential threat they pose to their health, many are turning to organic products. Indeed, there seems to be an organic alternative to everything these days from toothpaste to soap . When it comes to shampoos, organic shampoos are becoming more and more popular among consumers as they have several health benefits that commercial shampoos can never give to your hair. To help you reap some of these healthy benefits, the following guide has been created to help you with choosing the best organic shampoo for your hair. Take a look:
Ultimate Organic Shampoo Guide
|ACURE Triple Moisture Repairing Argan Oil + Argan Stem Cell Shampoo||-Organic |
-acai berry, pomegranate, rooibos, aloe vera
-All hair types (normal, dry, damaged, curly)
|Organic Excellence Mint Shampoo||-Certified Organic|
-All hair types
|NaturOli Soap Nut / Soapberry Shampoo - Organic Natural Hair Care||-Certified Organic|
-Normal to Dry
|John Masters Organics John Masters Organics Lavender Rosemary Shampoo||-Certified Organic|
-Coconut, Sage, and Chamomile blend
-Normal to Dry Hair
|Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo||-Certified Organic ingredients|
-All hair types
|Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo||-Natural and Certified Organic ingredients|
-All hair types
|Avalon Organics Volumizing Shampoo, Rosemary||-Certified Organic herbal blend|
-Normal to Dry Hair
|Juice Organics Pomsmooth Shampoo||-Organic Pomegranate extracts, aloe, olive, shea butter|
-All Hair Types
|Desert Essence Organic Pure Shampoo||-100% Vegan|
-All Hair Types
|Miessence Lemon Myrtle Shampoo (Normal to Oily Hair) - Certified Organic||-Certified Organic|
-Normal to Oily Hair
Difference between Organic and Commercial Shampoos
Commercial shampoos contain several ingredients that can penetrate the skin and get into the bloodstream. When these substances get into the bloodstream they can make us sick as many of them have cancer causing ingredients. These commercial shampoos are usually petroleum based and contain many polymers and additional synthetic chemicals that strip your hair of their natural oils and leave it dry, wiry and prone to damage. They usually have more foam than the organic shampoos, due to a foaming agent known as sodium lauryl sulfate, thus many consumers assume that commercial shampoos clean the hair better than organic shampoos. Consumers need to be informed of the fact that more foam does not necessarily mean cleaner hair, especially if it means damaged hair in the end. Organic shampoos on the other hand use natural oils as their base, which is the reason why they do not foam as much. However, they clean the hair just as well as mainstream shampoos while protecting the hair’s natural oils and enhancing its suppleness and flexibility.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Organic Shampoo
- Ingredients. Many companies purport to manufacture organic shampoos yet in reality only one or two products in their shampoos may be natural. Always check the ingredients and ensure they are free of artificial colorants, fragrances, sodium lauryl sulfate ( there are organic shampoos with aloe vera that actually have this foaming agent in them), silicones or any name that is not easily pronounceable . All these are artificial additives which automatically means that that shampoo is not natural, no matter how much aloe, Shea butter or olive oil the brand claims to have. Organic shampoos usually have the following ingredients: Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, tea tree oil, Vitamin E, Soy protein, Chamomile, Citric acid and natural oils as a base oil.
- The USDA Organic Seal. The United States, luckily has strict regulations that define what an organic product is and products that have the USDA Organic seal are certified to be the best organic shampoo brands, are of high quality ,are 100% chemical free and are made of 100% organic products and thus when shopping both online or in brick and mortar retail stores, seek out brands that have this seal.
- Hair and Scalp type. Like regular shampoos, organic shampoos are manufactured with specific hair and scalp types in mind. Organic shampoos made for normal hair and scalp type are usually mild with mild moisturizing agents which keep the scalp healthy and balanced in moisture content while natural oil softeners keep the hair soft and shiny.
- Dry hair and scalp requires a shampoo that will moisturize the scalp and smoothens dry hair. Such shampoos have higher natural oil content thus should not be used in excess, otherwise this will cause your hair to be a little greasy. Usually, a moisturizing conditioner is ideal as it cleans the scalp and traps moisture on the skin and hair.
- Oily hair and Scalp should use shampoos with sage and tea tree, which absorb oil from the scalp by bonding with it and drying out. Some of the organic shampoos made for this type of hair and scalp type work extremely well and may dry out hair, thus a moisturizing conditioner may be needed to balance them out.
Hair loss can be stopped by using a DHT blocker shampoo, most dht blocker shampoos contain pumpkin seed oil, nettle and saw palmetto.
- The Organic base – Organic shampoos usually have a plant oil base such as coconut oil, olive oil and Shea butter. These base oils dissolve most of the other natural products in them with ease, while at the same time trap moisture on the scalp and hair while giving it a sheen look. It’s important to check on the ingredients to understand which type of base oil has been used as this is the main ingredient in the shampoo.
Watch the video below to uncover the amazing world of healthy organic and natural shampoo products with John Masters, founder of John Masters Organics shampoo products.
Benefits of using Organic Shampoos
- You avoid harmful chemicals. Commercial shampoos have a wide number of chemicals such as sodium and aluminum lauryl sulfate, derivatives of lauryl alcohol, propylene glycol and olefin sulfonate which have several negative effects on the hair and scalp, such as irritating the sebaceous oil glands and drying out the hair. Sodium lauryl sulfate is also being considered to be especially harmful as it is absorbed by the body and may have negative consequences.
- They are excellent for sensitive skin. Since organic shampoos are made of natural products, the likelihood of allergic reactions and causing skin sensitivity is low, making them perfect for those with allergic and sensitive skin.
- They are environmentally friendly. The use of organic shampoos do not pollute the environment as they break down into organic compounds that decay into the soil without causing any harm to plant and animal life.
- Organic shampoos stimulate hair follicles, leading to faster hair growth and promoting the growth of new hair.
- Long lasting Healthy Hair. Organic shampoos keep the hair free of toxins and moisturized thus your hair stays long, shiny and healthy looking for a long time.
4 of the Best Organic Shampoo Products
There are several Organic shampoo brands available both online and in your local health stores. Several brands, some highlighted in the above organic shampoo guide, have received top ratings and reviews from customers across for their high quality and availability. Just a few more notes about these brands:
The John Masters Organics hair care product line is an a league of it’s own. The products are made from the purest and highest organic ingredients that address the needs of all hair types. As mentioned in the video above, John Masters Organics formulates “…hair treatments so natural, you can eat them”. But please, Don’t Try Eating your Shampoo. This John Masters Organics Lavender Rosemary Shampoo is great for normal to dry hair, as it promotes healthy hair and scalp with an exotic blend of Certified Organic ingredients. Your hair and scalp will thank as it receives an infusion of rosemary, sage, chamomile, aloe vera, Japanese honeysuckle and a host of other herbal goodness.
Acure Organics is also a top brand, producing some of the best shampoo products, like this Acure Organics Moroccan Argan Oil and Argan Stem Cell Shampoo. With a healthy blend of organic ingredients, it treats dry and damaged hair, producing a lasting moisture that leaves your hair/scalp soft and healty.
Max Green Alchemy is highly regarded for its quality organic products and this shampoo is one of them. It has a rich scent, a generous lather( which is rare for most organic shampoos) and only a small amount is needed to cleanse the hair. It is also suitable for all hair types including color treated hair.
This is one of the best organic shampoo brands in the market .It is made from organic nuts and soap berries and is considered to be the purest organic shampoo in the market. Unlike most shampoos, it is effective even on its own and one does not need extra products to be used alongside it.
There is so much to gain from using organic shampoos that it should be an easy decision to make the switch if you are still using regular shampoo products. It is astonishing that with all the effort many of us place on eating right and staying fit, that we continue to put our health in danger by using everyday items like non-organic shampoos. Fortunately, with an enormous amount of resources available, its very easy to find the healthier shampoo options to maintain a healthy hair and body.
What do you think?
What’s you’re favorite organic shampoo? Please comment below and share your thoughts with us.